Loan Periods, Renewals, & Fines
Select an item type to view loan period, renewal, and fine information:
The following limits apply to all patron categories. Circulation activity will be suspended when limits are reached.
- Expiration date – end of the term, academic year, or membership year, depending on patron category. Accounts for continuing students, faculty, and staff will be extended before the expiration date.
- Amount owed to the library- $15 limit for all patron categories.
- Overdues – the account is blocked after a second notice is sent for an overdue item.
- Holds – limited to 10 requests at one time.
- Number of items - overall limit on item checkout is 10, or 50, depending on your patron category.
Equitable Access to Materials
A waiting period is imposed before the same item can be checked out again by the same patron. The waiting period will be imposed if two or more patrons are found to be taking turns checking out the same item.
- 30 minutes for items that are restricted to library use only.
- Next day for other materials.
- Holds on checked-out items are available only to current UNTHSC faculty, students, and staff.
- Holds may be placed on all circulating materials, except for reserves, equipment, and Test Preparation books.
- Hold requests are not accepted for non-circulating items or for circulating items that are not checked out.
- Use the "Place a Hold" function in the catalog or complete a "Hold Request" form at the service desk.
- An email notice will be sent to you once a requested item is available. You have up to 7 days to pick it up.
- Items with an active request may not be renewed.
- Circulating materials that are not checked out can be held at the service desk until closing the following day.
- Reserves, equipment, and Test Preparation books are excluded.
|Patron Group||Course Reserves||Test Preparation||All Items|
Lost & Long-Overdue Items
- Replacement charges and a $30 processing fee will be billed for lost items or items not returned after two overdue notices. Overdue fines will accrue up to a $50 maximum.
- Replacement and processing charges will be waived if the item is returned in good condition. Payment of the overdue fine is due at that time.
- Replacement charges will be refunded if the item is returned in good condition after replacement and processing charges have been paid. Processing charges and overdue fines are nonrefundable. The refund of the replacement charge will be applied to any outstanding charges on the account.
- Replacement copies in new or excellent condition may be provided subject to librarian approval. The replacement must have the same standard identification number as the lost copy. The processing charge will not be waived. Do not purchase a replacement copy unless it has been approved by the Access Services Librarian.
- Items needed for course reserves may be recalled at any time.
- Email notification will be sent and items are due in 3 days.
- Overdue fines will be charged after 3 days.
- Some item loans are renewable.
- Eligible items can be renewed by logging in to "My Account" in the catalog or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reserve Materials & Closing
All two-hour and four-hour reserve materials are due 15 minutes before the service desk closes.
Scheduling an Item
- UNTHSC faculty and staff can make an advance reservation for use of library materials or equipment if the request is for instructional use and for a specific and limited period of time.
- An item should be placed on reserve if it is needed by individual students or if it is needed for more than a few days.
- Email email@example.com or call 817-735-2465 to schedule an item.