Printing from a Computer
printer-friendlye-mail this page
- Color printing
Four Pharos release stations are equipped for printing or copying in full color -- two on the main floor of the library, one in the Student Development Lounge, and one on Level 2 of the MET building.
- One-sided printing
Pharos produces two-sided documents by default. Reset the Print Properties (on the Finishing tab) before sending your print job if you want one-sided prints.
- Large paper
All of the multifunction devices connected to the Pharos system are equipped for printing or copying on 8 ½ x 14 (legal) or 11 x 17 (ledger) paper. The default paper size is 8 ½ x 11 (letter).
Print Drivers and VPN Software
- All library computers are equipped with the necessary drivers to send print jobs to the Pharos system.
- UNTHSC students, faculty, and staff members should install the Pharos printer drivers to send print jobs from personal computers. The drivers can be installed on laptop or desktop computers running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Mac operating systems.
- To send a print job from a computer that is outside the campus network you will need to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection. Log into the VPN before sending a print job.
- Access VPN Service if you are installing the VPN client for the first time.
- Access Get Software for Student VPN for Windows or Student VPN for Mac (under Student Software) if you already have the UNTHSC Cisco AnyConnect VPN software installed.
Sending a Print Job
- Two printer selections are available: "Pharos BW Printers" and "Pharos Color or BW Printers." Choose a printer driver and the location where you want to release the print job. Jobs sent to "Pharos Color or BW Printers" must be released at one of the color-capable printers. Jobs sent to "Pharos BW Printers" must be released at one of the other print stations.
- Set the document size correctly before sending your job to a Pharos printer to avoid default charges. If a document does not match one of the standard sizes (A4, Letter (8 ½ x 11), Legal (8 ½ x 14), or Ledger (11 x 17)), it will be charged at 25 cents per side (color or black and white). All library computers default to two-sided, black and white printing. Change any print settings in the program you are using before sending. Settings cannot be changed on the printing device once they are sent to the print queue, and refunds are not issued for incorrect settings.
- To send a job from outside the campus network, first log into the VPN using your EUID and password. After connecting, send your print job to Pharos.
Releasing a Print Job
- Print jobs sent to Pharos must be released at one of the print stations within 24 hours. Any unprinted jobs are automatically deleted after this period.
- UNTHSC students, faculty and staff members can use your ID badge to log into your personal Pharos account. Hold the badge near the black proximity reader until you see the "please wait" message on the touch screen. For other Pharos accounts and patrons (including departmental accounts), log into Pharos by typing your user name and password on the touch screen.