Select an item type:
|Test Preparation ||Laptop Computers |
|Circulating Books ||Other Equipment |
|Course Reserves ||Media |
|Account Limits||Recalled Items|
|Equitable Access to Materials||Renewals|
|Holds||Reserve Materials & Closing|
|Item Limits||Scheduling an Item|
|Lost & Long-Overdue Items|
The following limits apply to all patron categories. All circulation activity, both in the library and online, will be suspended when the limits are reached.
- Expiration Date – End of the term, academic year, or membership year, depending on patron category. Accounts for continuing students, faculty, and staff will be extended before the expiration date.
- Amount Owed to the Library- $15 limit for all patron categories.
- Overdues – Once a second notice is sent for an overdue item, the account is blocked.
- Holds – Limited to 10 requests at one time.
- Number of Items - The overall limit on item check-out is 5, 10, 25, or 50, depending on your patron category. See the table below.
To give other patrons opportunity to access a circulating item, a waiting period is imposed before the same item can be checked out again by the same patron:
- 30 minutes for items that are restricted to library use only;
- Next day for other materials.
If two or more patrons are found to be checking out the same item alternately and repeatedly so as to have continuous access to it, the standard waiting period for subsequent check-out will be imposed before any member of the group can check it out again.
- This type of hold reserves an item that is currently checked out for your use. All circulating materials, except for reserves, equipment, and Test Preparation books, are eligible. Requests are not accepted for non-circulating items or for circulating items that are available in the library.
- To request an item that is currently checked out, use the Request function in the online catalog or complete a Hold Request form at the Service Desk.
- Once a requested item is returned, the requestor is notified and has up to 7 days to pick it up. Notices are sent by mail or e-mail; as staff time permits, patrons are also notified by telephone.
- Items with an active request may not be renewed.
- Holds on checked-out items are available only to current UNTHSC faculty, students, and staff.
- Circulating materials that are not checked out can be held at the Service Desk for later pick-up. All library account holders are eligible, and the items will be held until closing the following day.
- Reserves, equipment, and Test Preparation books are excluded.
|Patron Group||Course Reserves||Test Preparation||All Items|
|Students, Staff, OPTI Residents||4||5||50|
|Summer Program Students*||4||5||10|
|Alumni & TOMA Members||2||5||25|
|Other Healthcare Professionals||2||5||25|
|Spouses of Faculty/Staff||2||5||5|
|TexShare - Faculty & Graduate Students||2||5||10|
|TexShare - Undergraduates||2||5||5|
|TexShare - Public Library Cardholders||2||5||5|
* includes HBCU, SMART, McNair, STARS
- If an item is reported lost or has not been returned after two overdue notices have been sent, the borrower will be billed for its replacement cost and a $30 processing fee. Overdue fines will continue to accrue, up to a $50 maximum, until the borrower returns the item or pays the charges.
- If the item is returned in good condition before the replacement and processing charges are paid, they will be waived. Payment of the overdue fine is due at that time.
- If the item is returned in good condition after replacement and processing charges have been paid, only the replacement charge will be refunded. Processing charges and overdue fines are nonrefundable. The refund of the replacement charge will be applied first to any outstanding charges on the account, with the remainder paid by check to the patron.
- In some cases, subject to librarian approval, the borrower may provide a replacement copy in new or excellent condition. The replacement must have the same standard identification number as the lost copy. The processing charge will not be waived due to the costs of making the replacement copy ready for circulation. Do not purchase a replacement copy unless it has been approved by the Access Services Librarian.
- Items needed for course reserves may be recalled at any time. The borrower will be notified by e-mail or telephone and will have 3 days to return the item before overdue fines are charged.
- Books checked out for longer than two weeks are subject to recall. If a UNTHSC patron requests it, the circulation system recalculates the due date and the borrower is notified by e-mail or mail. The borrower will have at least 14 days to use the item and at least 7 days after the notice is issued to return it without penalty.
Some item loans are renewable. To determine if you can renew, follow the link for the item type in the table above or contact the Service Desk (817-735-2465). Eligible items can be renewed by logging in to the My Account area of the Library Catalog, or by contacting the Service Desk via e-mail  or phone. For help with online renewal, see Managing Your Library Account Online .
All two-hour and four-hour reserve materials are due 15 minutes before the Service Desk closes for the day.
UNTHSC faculty and staff can make an advance reservation for use of library materials or equipment if the request is for instructional use and for a specific and limited period of time. If individual students need to use the item, or if it is needed for more than a few days, then it should be placed on reserve in the library instead. To schedule an item, send an e-mail message containing a link to its catalog record to email@example.com . Alternatively, call the Service Desk at 817-735-2465.